I am uploading version 2.2 of Tasheel al-Nahw. There were a few minor issues in the previous version which I have fixed in this one. The only major change is that instead of using “noun” & “ism” and “verb” & “fi’l” interchangeably throughout the book, “noun” and “verb” are used only in the beginning of the book, and throughout the remainder “ism” and “fi’l” are used instead. The file is given below. The same file is also available on my academia.edu webpage (https://chicago.academia.edu/AamirBashir).
Tasheel al-Nahw ver 2.2
I am uploading version 2.1 of Ten Lessons of Arabic. There were a few minor issues in the previous version which I have fixed in this one. The only major change is the addition of feminine sound plural in the last lesson. The file is given below. The same file is also available on my academia.edu webpage (https://chicago.academia.edu/AamirBashir).
Ten Lessons ver 2.1
Mawlana Omar Salejee of Madrasah In’amiyyah, Camperdown, South Africa has pointed out a number of issues in Tasheel al-Nahw‘s 2nd online edition. May Allah reward him abundantly for his efforts. I have fixed these and updated the file. I am calling the new file “ver 2.1” because of the number of changes. I am also deleting the previous file from the website. From now on, only ver 2.1 will be available at this website.
Tasheel alNahw ver 2.1 updated
For those who have already printed out their copies of Tasheel al-Nahw, I am listing these issues below so that you can fix them manually.
- Page 11, 10th line from the top. The correct translation is: Twelve men came. (not ‘eleven’).
- Page 11, the last example on the page. The word الأمين should have a hamzah qat’iyyah after the alif-laam.
- Page 46, number 2.ii. The singular feminine (تَعَالَيْ) gets a fathah on the laam, not a kasrah.
- Page 63, note number 1. The correct pronunciation of the word is سَمَاعِي (with a fathah on the س, not a kasrah).
- Page 65, 7th last line. The correct pronunciation of the word is سَمَاعِي (with a fathah on the س, not a kasrah).
- Page 69. The correct definition of jam’ kathrah is: It is a plural, which denotes a number from 3 to unlimited. (not ‘ten upwards’).
- Page 70, table 3.4, last line. The word أكبر cannot be given a tanween since it is ghayr munsarif. It should be replaced with a dammah.
- Page 75, Example 4 of naa’ib faa’il. The correct spelling is رُئِيَتِ الشَّمْسُ and رُئِيَ الشَّمْسُ.
- Page 92, 6th last line. The correct translation of the example will be: The people came except a donkey. (not ‘the donkey’)
- Page 105, under the explanation of ‘faa’. The words ‘slight delay’ should be removed from the definition of faa. The new definition will be “It shows sequence.”
- Page 108, regarding the terminology used in the sentence analysis of both the examples. The taabi’ in this case can also be called ‘bayaan‘ and the matboo’ can be called ‘mubayyan’. These labels have been added.
- Page 109, the word ابتداء appears in three places on this page. They have all been written incorrectly with hamzah qat’iyyah. The hamzah qat’iyyah needs to be removed, since this hamzah is wasliyyah not qat’iyyah.
- Page 118, table 4.4. The spelling of the first word in the first example is not correct. It should be أَرَيْتُ, instead of أَرَأَيْتُ.
- Page 132, number 2, the first example and number 3, the first 4 examples. An alif-laam needs to be added to the dual and plural forms of Zayd to keep them ma’rifah.
- Page 132, number 3, first example on the right hand side. The alif at the end of the word أعلموا needs to be removed.
- Page 140, second line of number 11. The hamzah qat’iyyah needs to be removed from the word ابتداء since it is a hamzah wasliyyah.
I am posting my thesis that I wrote for an MA at ISTAC (International Institute of Islamic Thought & Civilization), International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). It is titled “Shari’at & Tariqat: A Study of the Deobandi Understanding and Practice of Tasawwuf” and was completed in December 2010. Initially, I had thought I would revise it and have it examined by Deobandi Sufi scholars, and then get it published somewhere but it seems I won’t be getting the chance to work on it anytime soon. Therefore, I have decided to post it as is.
Needless to say, the ideas expressed in this thesis are mine. Others are not to be held responsible for it. Moreover, like all human efforts, there are bound to be some mistakes in it. I look forward to any feedback from all readers, especially Deobandi Sufi ‘ulama, since their ideas and practices are the subject of this study.
If anyone benefits from it, please remember me in your du’as for I am definitely in need of them.
Here it is: Shariat and Tariqat Study of Deobandi Understanding and Practice of Tasawwuf.
Thanks to an observant scholar (Mawlana Nazim Mangera) and his students, the following mistake has been found in Ten Lessons (2nd online edition). All those using the text, please correct it.
On page 71, Exercise 1 says “Translate into English.” This is followed by English sentences. Obviously, it should be “Translate into Arabic.”
Please, make the correction.
I am uploading a new paper titled “Muslim Views of Jews and Judaism in the Medieval Period: A Comparative Study of Ibn Hazm and al-Shahrastani.” I have also translated selections of these two works dealing with Judaism, as well as their respective introductions (muqaddimah) which give an insight into the two authors’ methodology in these books.
You can download the paper and the translations as separate files or as one file.
Ibn Hazm and alShahrastani on Judaism
Selected Translations from Kitab alFasl and Kitab alMilal
Ibn Hazm and alShahrastani on Judaism with Translated Sections
Thanks to an observant scholar (Mawlana Abdullah Patel), the following mistake has been found in Tasheel al-Nahw (2nd online edition). All those using the text, please correct it.
On page 24, it says,
5. إِنَّ by itself conveys emphasis. Sometimes, لَامُ التَّأْكِيْدِ can be added before the خَبَرٌ to convey even more emphasis. In this case, the خَبَرٌ must be جُمْلَةٌ فِعْلِيَّةٌ.
The last sentence (In this case, the خَبَرٌ must be جُمْلَةٌ فِعْلِيَّةٌ.) is unnecessary and should be deleted. Instead, we can add another example of khabar being jumlah ismiyyah which Malwana Abdullah pointed out, i.e.
إِنَّكَ لَرَسُوْلُ اللهِ Indeed, you are the messenger of Allah.
I have already made the necessary changes in the file given at the link in the previous post. Those who downloaded the file before today, please make note of this correction.
Finally, to all the scholars using this text: Please do let me know if you find any mistake in the text, so that the necessary correction can be made.
May Allah reward Mawlana Abdullah abundantly for pointing out the error.
Wassalam ma’a al-ikram